Safe Haven Dialectical Behavior Therapy Program
The Safe Haven Treatment Program offers a refuge for victims of trauma. Safe Haven is a program within Heartland Behavioral Health Services and provides inpatient treatment for girls ages 12 to 19. The focus of treatment is a holistic approach to the recovery of trauma-related behaviors. These trauma-related behaviors are primarily within the category of self injury. Self-injurious behaviors may include cutting, burning, unhealthy sexual practices and restriction of food. In conjunction with the treatment of self injurious behavior, the underlying issues of the post-traumatic stress, depression and anxiety are addressed through a variety of treatment modalities. Treatment planning assists patients with developing healthy alternatives to tolerating emotional distress. Empowerment is a key component, as well as providing patients with an opportunity to feel a form of healthy control. They will develop a sense of trust for themselves and for those around them.
Safe Haven emphasizes natural control rather than control incited by the use of medications. It is important for patients to gain insight into their emotions and to be free of certain medications that mask the patient’s control. While there are effective medications to assist with the symptoms of trauma, the treatment team will recommend these sparingly. The use of PRN medications will only be utilized after the patient attempts all other avenues of managing the emotional distress.
The holistic approach to treatment will include:
- A safe, structured and non-threatening inpatient milieu
- Comprehensive assessment of needs
- Individual, family and group therapy
- Primary treatment used is Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
- Skill-building focused on impulse identification and control
- Education focused on distress tolerance skills, emotion regulation and self-soothing methods
- Expressive therapy focused on art, literature, drama and recreation
- Relaxation techniques utilizing visualization and yoga
- Nutrition education and practice
- Case management and aftercare planning to the patient’s home community